Passionate | Experienced | Strategic

Protect Your Financial Future When Dividing Your Property

One of the most complex challenges in a divorce is dividing property and assets between you and your spouse. Everyone needs a skilled attorney to advocate for their best financial interests in this process.

Northwest Family Law, P.S., represents clients in King and Snohomish counties who need assistance navigating divorce law and obtaining favorable property division arrangements. Because our firm solely practices family law, we have an exceptional understanding of divorce in Washington state. No matter what type of divorce you are going through, we can work to obtain a property distribution arrangement that protects your future finances.

What Is Community Property, And How Will It Affect Me?

Washington is a community property state. This means that our courts divide marital property — the property and assets acquired during the marriage — equally between both parties. Marital property can include:

  • The income that spouses earned during the marriage
  • Property purchased during the marriage

However, the state does consider some property separate. Couples do not have to divide separate property, which includes:

  • Inheritances
  • Gifts given to one spouse
  • Property purchased before the marriage

Dividing A Business In A Divorce

If you and your spouse do not wish to co-own your business after a divorce, you may have to divide it. If you cannot reach an arrangement through mediation or arbitration, then your case may proceed to trial. The court considers numerous factors when dividing a business, such as:

  • Who controlled its day-to-day operations
  • Who contributed to it financially
  • Whether the business was founded before or after the marriage
  • The increase or decrease in value during the marriage

Northwest Family Law, P.S., can represent you in negotiations or at trial. When you schedule a consultation with us, we can examine your case and help you understand what to expect.

Ask About Property Division

You may still have questions about property division, and Northwest Family Law, P.S., can answer them. Contact us for a phone consultation so we can learn about your case. Call our Bellevue office at (206) 792-0981, or schedule with us online.